Eggs have been vilified over the years from 1988 with MP Edwina Curry & the “Egg Scandal” & the prevalence of eggs containing Salmonella to “Eggs will clog up your arteries & lead to premature death” both of these statements are extremely misleading.
In an ideal world we should try to eat free range organic eggs, but this isn’t always possible.
The benefits of eating whole eggs –
- they are inexpensive
- rich in high quality protein
- contain vitamins B2, B6, B12
- contain fat soluble vitamins A,D,E,K
- contains minerals zinc, iron, copper, selenium
- contain 9 essential amino acids
- contain Omega 3 (if the chicken feed contains flaxseed)
- versatile for cooking
We have been misinformed on the dangers of cholesterol in our diets over the last few years. Very little of the cholesterol we consume in our diet affects our blood serum cholesterol & cholesterol has been touted as the number 1 cause of Heart Attacks, which once again is not wholly accurate.
I will cover in a later blog post the role of cholesterol in our body & that LDL isn’t necessarily the bad guy.